What is it?
When you register with GO MAINE to carpool, vanpool, bike, walk or ride the bus, you are eligible for our Emergency Ride Home Benefit (ERH). It’s a free taxi ride with a registered taxi company or Enterprise Rent-a-Car home in the event you get sick at work, there’s a family crisis, unscheduled overtime or other unforeseen workday emergency.
What’s the catch?
This benefit is only available to registered GO MAINE commuters who carpool, vanpool, take the bus or train, walk or bicycle at least 3 times per week. Use of this special benefit is limited to eight times within a calendar year, with the exception of commuters at Jackson Lab in Bar Harbor who can use it up to 4 times a calendar year.
How do I get it?
With your GO MAINE account, the ERH benefit is now a reward and no points are needed! Simply select and redeem the ERH like you would any other reward. Next answer a few questions that are emailed to you and you'll be put in touch with our area ride providers.
What are the details?
Read below to see what option fits you. Most GO MAINERS fit in the Car Rental category.
COVID-19 NOTE (updated 12/20/20) - Please note that at times during the pandemic some taxi providers have not been running due to ensuring the safety of their drivers who are vulnerable, increasing positive cases in a given region, and/or state designation of red or yellow zones. In addition, some providers will not carry passengers who are showing symptoms. Please try to reach a provider but understand these potential limitations given the current circumstances with the virus and that this is out of GO MAINE's control.
Car Rental: If your commute is NOT in Bar Harbor Bangor, Bath/Brunswick, or Portland, this is for you.
- In order to use Enterprise, you will need a credit card and a valid driver’s license. Enterprise will put the charge on your card and then reimburse you after GO MAINE makes payment.
- Log in to your GO MAINE account, click on the the MORE tab, pick the Emergency Ride Home reward and then follow the steps provided. Once you submit the quick answers to the form titled "Additional Questions for Your Use of the Emergency Ride Home Benefit", the codes you need to give Enterprise will appear immediately in the pop-up confirmation screen and also via a confirmation email.
- Call the Enterprise Rent-a-Car office at 1-800-736-8222 or find the nearest Enterprise location here. Provide the representative with the codes you have received and arrange for a pickup.
- An Enterprise representative will pick you up at the desired location and time and bring you back to the Enterprise office (or you may get your own ride to the Enterprise office if that’s more convenient).
- Next just fill out the rental agreement (takes only a few minutes), show your valid drivers license and credit card and you are ready to go home! As stated above, Enterprise will charge your credit card and reimburse you after GO MAINE makes payment.
Other Important Things! Read this too.
Purchasing optional collision coverage depends on your insurance and is your decision and responsibility.
Rentals are for one day only. You will be responsible for any additional days if you decide to keep the rental longer.
If rented on a Friday, you can return the vehicle to a local Enterprise branch nearest you on Saturday; just let them know that you will be doing so.
Unless other arrangements are made with Enterprise, you are responsible for refueling the vehicle prior to returning it.
Taxi: currently for Bangor, Bar Harbor, Bath/Brunswick and Portland area Commuters
Log in to your GO MAINE account, click the REWARDS tab, select the Featured! button, and pick the the Emergency Ride Home reward and follow the steps provided.
Once you have submitted your quick answers to the form titled, "Additional Questions for Your Use of the Emergency Ride Home Benefit", you will immediately receive a confirmation pop-up message (and also a confirmation email) with the contact information and instructions for using local GO MAINE-registered taxi companies.
See here for more information about GO MAINE program rewards.